Liver Cancer Symptoms
Liver cancer symptoms are not clearly evident in its early stage. The primary causes of liver cancer are the liver diseases like the hepatitis B and C and also the cirrhosis.
People with these diseases or liver complications are said to be at a high risk for developing the primary liver cancer.
There are several ways to help prevent primary liver cancer. These involve measures to control risk factors such hepatitis, alcoholism and exposure to certain chemicals.
The secondary liver cancer is the malignancy spread from the other cancer affected organs. This is hard to be prevented. It is described as metastatic liver cancer meaning the cancer which has spread from else where.
Either type of the liver cancer is due to the abnormal growth of cells in the liver. Liver is the largest internal organ in the body. It is responsible for the bile production and removing the toxins and alcohol from the blood.
Liver cancers are seldom diagnosed early because there are no specific liver cancer symptoms in the early stages. Possible indicators include weight loss, lack of appetite, jaundice and abdominal pain or swelling. (Is Pain Associated With Liver Cancer?)
A number of diagnostic tests may be suggested by the physician to confirm liver cancer, including ultrasound, blood tests, CAT scan, MRI and biopsy.
Because this disease is rarely discovered early and is difficult to control with current treatments, the prognosis is often poor. Although when treatments fail to provide much improvement, they do often control pain and improve quality of life.
Liver Cancer Symptoms or Signs of Liver Cancer
Liver can be a site for development of many tumors which may or may not be cancerous. This is most common among males than in females. Liver cancer symptoms or signs of liver cancer are seldom detected in its early stage. As no liver cancer symptoms are shown in its early stage.
The liver cancer symptoms listed below may be caused after the disease has advanced to a certain extent. But they can also be caused by other cancers or conditions. Most specific liver cancer symptoms or signs of liver cancer are mentioned as below:
- Unknown, unintentional weight loss
- Continuous lack of appetite or loss of hunger
- Feeling of full stomach even after a very small meal or abdominal fullness
- Liver swelling or a mass that can be felt in the area of the liver, this can be only detected by a doctor
- Pain in the right upper abdominal area, bloating or ongoing stomach pain
- Swelling in the area of the stomach
- Yellow-green color to the skin and eyes (jaundice)
- Illness, fatigue and weakness may be experienced if the person has chronic hepatitis or cirrhosis
- Males may encounter swollen breasts
- Intestinal bleeding
- Blood clotting problems, bruises on the skin.
On encountering any of these above mentioned liver cancer symptoms it is must and should to see a doctor immediately. Remember that these symptoms may also be caused by some other ailment or disease not related to liver cancer.